Veterans Health Administration (VHA), Enterprise Health Management Platform (eHMP)
2015-16, VHA, Human Factors Engineering Office (HFE)
The Department of Veterans Affairs has been a pioneer in the use of electronic health records (EHRs), with the current EHR being constantly used and enhanced since 1996 (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2013). VA began designing and developing a new tool, the Enterprise Health Management Platform (eHMP) (U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, 2016) to improve health care delivery and Veteran outcomes by modernizing its EHR infrastructure. Our team supported the effort by providing Human Factors and Usability expertise.
- I supported the development of a user-centered design (UCD) process to incorporate usability and human factors best practices into the (already established) project life-cycle.
- I supported Agile development teams and working groups as a UX and Human Factors SME, providing guidance and design recommendations.
- I performed heuristic evaluations (HEs) and usability testing on wire-frames.
- I developed a new method called “Participatory Wireframe Reviews (PWR)” to regularly obtain, and integrate, field-clinician feedback into design iterations.
- This method (later branded Participatory Group Reviews (PGRs)) ensured feedback from clinician across the US, with a Cohort in each time zone.
- My PWR/PGRs process was published in the VA Human Factors Quarterly (Bagetta, 2017).
- I developed a new method for executing an HE with two clinical SME experts within the time constraints of an Agile sprint.
- This method, called Rapid Heuristic Evaluation (RHE) was document and presented at the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society (HFES) Annual Convention in 2017 (Dobre, Harrington, Herout, Weir, Cook, Carter, … Relihan. 2017).
Bagetta, D. (2017). Design and the Participatory Group Review. Human Factors Quarterly Summer 2017. Veterans Health Administration, Office of Informatics and Information Governance, Health Informatics. Retrieved from https://www.va.gov/VLER/docs/VLERHealth/HumanFactorsQuarterlySummer2017Issue.pdf
Dobre, J., Harrington, C., Herout, J., Weir, C., Cook, A., Carter, T., … Relihan, W. B. (2017). Rapid Heuristic Evaluation: Ensuring Fast and Reliable Usability Support. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society 2017 Annual Meeting, 610–614.
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (2013). Enterprise Health Management Platform (eHMP) Release Notes for Release Version 1.2.18. Retrieved from http://www.ehealth.va.gov/docs/VistA_Monograph.pdf
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. (2013). VistA Monograph. Retrieved from http://www.ehealth.va.gov/docs/VistA_Monograph.pdf